Saturday, January 14, 2006

Coming-of-Age Day Jan 9th 2006

Known as Seijin-no-hi in Japan, this national holiday is especially for the young people who attain the age of majority in that year. A special ceremony, Seijin Shiki, is held in towns and cities across the nation, giving the boys a chance to sport new suits and the girls to turn out in beautiful kimono. It will be the turn of my daughter, Aya-Louise, to become 20 on January 16th, so exactly one week before we trooped down to the Wing Stadium in Kobe to join the horde of new seijin who were assembled there...




As for the ceremony--I've seen better organised riots--but the young 'uns were having a whale of a time, despite the bitter cold and a specially organised right-wing Japan National Front uyoku rally blaring out barbarous dissonance outside. Eee aa doan't knoaa...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recaptured memories of my Sejin Shiki when I read your blog.

A ceremony that I attended when I became Seijin was held in a small city in Chiba, my hometown.
I heard many speeches, I remember nothing what were said because they were really boring, and enjoyed talking with my old friends.
Incidentally, there isn't a riot in particular, my Seijin Shiki ended uneventfully.

At this late date, I feel a regret that I haven't worn Kimono in the ceremony!
Of course (?) I have worn Kimono and taken photos as a memory of Seijin, but it was a few months before the ceremony.
After all I attended Seijin Shiki with a simple gray suit though a lot of my friends wore beautiful Kimono.
… I envy Ms.Aya for her nice Kimono!